The Pop Tarts - on the road to fame and fortune

Join us as we stagger towards universal domination as entrants in the World Series of Pop Culture.

Sunday, February 12, 2006

Tart Down! Training Injury



Saturday, Feb 11th/Sunday, Feb 12th
While late night "training" (watching TV), I jammed my toe into the leg of the sofa. It didn't really hurt that much but I heard a distinct crunch and when I looked down, my left forth toe was practically perpendicular to my baby toe. I didn't think it was broken right away because I could still bend it and it wasn't bruised, just swollen, so I thought I'd just wait until Monday to call my doctor and see if I could get into urgent care. But by Sunday morning, it was pretty blue and more painful, so I thought I'd visit the ER, see how crowded it was and then decide if I would stay.

I got the ER about 12:10pm and there were about 50 people waiting. I wasn't sure I should stay, but thought it would be ok, even just to stay and people watch. No one looked particularly sick, just a lot of fluey looking people who don't have primary care physicians or insurance so they come to the emergency room because they have no other choice.

I waited about 30 minutes to be called to triage. I told them what happened and they took my vitals. They sent me back out to the chairs to wait. About 20 minutes later, I asked the girl sitting next to me how long she had been waiting and when she said 3 hours, I thought I should just leave but then I wouldn't have gotten my parking validated, so I decided to wait. Within seconds of asking that girl how long she had been waiting, they called my name. I felt kind of bad I got called so fast, but it made me feel special too. ;)

The nurse that took me in told me I was a Fast Track patient because my injury was simple. The doctor came over after about 10 minutes and looked at my toe. He told me they would x-ray it and waited about 10 minutes to be taken to x-ray. While I am waiting I am seeing the doctor talk to about 3 other patients who came in with hurt feet and hands (this must be common for fast track) and so far no one has anything broken. I wait another 30 minutes for the doctor to look at my x-ray. They do it all digitally now, which is pretty cool and probably much faster than having to wait for film. So he's looking at my x-ray on the big computer monitor screen and tells me it's broken so I told him, good, I'm glad I didn't come in here for no reason.

Where is my Doctor McDreamy or Kovach like the hot TV doctors? My doctor was more like Marcus Welby.

Basically, I think I knew it was broken the moment I did it. It was jammed so hard when it happened, I heard the break and it made me nauseous, which I never get from medical stuff.

So they buddy tape it to the toe next to it. Gave me a copy of my x-ray, crutches and a prescription for vicodin and ibuprofen (stronger than the OTC) stuff. They want me to see an orthopedist, stay off it, keep it elevated and ice it. I don't think I am going to use the crutches, because I agreed with Diane when she told me I'd probably injure myself even more with the crutches than without them. I also had the prescriptions filled just to have but I probably won't use them, but it's good to have a stash of vicodin, right?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home